Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Smells of Summer

One of the things I love about living near Lake Michigan is that (a) it is typically cooler with nice lake breezes and (b) our growing season is delayed compared to our counterparts who live west of Milwaukee. (It is late June and I have yet to turn on our air conditioning!)

In my early morning walks through the neighborhood, I am still smelling peony bushes and a few late blooming lilacs.  The crab apple trees are done blooming this year--I already miss their overpowering scent.  One morning in particular, I was thankful I do not have allergies because the scent was so strong in portions of the neighborhood I got a headache (but I'm not complaining!)

While out on my many walks, I notice that some fellow walkers listen to music.  I'm a purist and listen to nature. Owls hooting, birds chirping, and squirrels scolding.  Some late afternoon/early evening walkers talk on the phone.  I've often wondered how sore their arm is when I see them do the loop near our house (15 minutes) and are talking on the phone the entire time.

Walking at the start of the day, early enough where I am the only person out and about, works for me.  If I wait until after work, my walk and exercise sometimes doesn't happen.  I strive for at least 10,000 steps each day. I choose to wear a Fitbit...I've had mine for several years.  It tracks my steps and sleep (or lack thereof.)

So tomorrow as I head outside to begin my day, I'll be taking deep breaths and enjoying the smells of summer in Bayside, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment